Holiday baking – Chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe:
It’s almost Christmas time, when we think of Christmas we think of family, friends, presents, getting the house Christmas ready and COOKIES.
One of our favorite times of year to bake a big selection of different cookies is during the winter time and especially the Holidays. One of the cookies we love to bake, is this wonderful chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe by Donna Hay, a kitchen goddess in her own right. We either make the original or offer a little twist.
For the twist: our option is to divide the 300g of Dark Chocolate into 3 types of Chocolate: 100 grams of White Chocolate, 100 grams of Milk Chocolate and 100g of Dark Chocolate. This play on her recipe was amazing and highly recommendable if you are looking for an amped up version of a chewy Chocolate chip cookie.
There is no better time to gather up friends and family, get into the kitchen and get baking. We must warn you, it’s hard not to eat them all as soon as they come out of the oven. Maybe one or 2 won’t hurt 😉 As for the rest of the cookies, you can wrap them up after they have cooled, and they make a great gift, just add a pretty bow a cute card and you will pleasantly surprise the lucky recipient of your freshly baked cookies make with love.
In our family, we bake a selection of different cookies and box them up together. There is nothing better than a tin of fresh baked cookies. We hope we have inspired you to get into the kitchen and starting baking with your loved ones. This Chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe is a great start.
Our suggestion is to play Christmas music while prepping and baking to get into the Holiday spirit. Then afterwards watch a new or classic Christmas movie. It makes for a great Sunday afternoon.
CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE
• 200G COLD UNSALTED BUTTER, CHOPPED
• 1 CUP (175G) BROWN SUGAR
• ¾ CUP (165G) WHITE (GRANULATED) SUGAR
• 1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
• 2 TABLESPOONS MILK
• 1 EGG
• 2 CUPS (300G) PLAIN (ALL-PURPOSE) FLOUR
• ¼ TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
• ¼ TEASPOON BICARBONATE OF (BAKING) SODA
• ¼ TEASPOON TABLE SALT
• 300G DARK CHOCOLATE, CHOPPED
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. Place the butter and both the sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on low speed until just combined.
3. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 8 minutes or until pale and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
4. Add the vanilla, milk and egg and beat for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
5. Sift in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt and beat until combined.
6. Add the chocolate and stir to combine.
7. Roll heaped tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place on lightly greased baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper+. Bake for 12–14 minutes or until golden brown++.
8. Allow to cool on the trays for 5 minutes before transferring onto wire racks to cool. Makes 22
+ Leave 2–3cm between each ball of cookie dough to allow for spreading in the oven.
++ Cookies should be golden around the edges with even coloring on the base when they’re ready.
+++ We used a mix of 3 types of Chocolate, white, milk and dark for a wonderful variation on just dark chocolate.
TIP: If you’re baking more than one tray of cookies at a time, swap their shelf positions in the oven halfway through cooking time to ensure even coloring.